You're All Mine Now! MUHAHAHAA!

1:08 PM Sarah 0 Comments

Hey Scriblets! Did you miss me? Hey, stop with the hating, I know you did! Well hopefully Malachi told you all that I went to Las Vegas, Nevada! No, we didn't gamble, it was purely an educational trip. So I got back last Friday and let me tell you, jet lag is a thing and it's not a fun thing >.< I'm still stuck in PST instead of EST.

So Malachi is going to be gone all week, he's gone off to summer camp! So you're all mine! MUAHAHAHHA!!!!! Isn't it lovely how this worked out? Malachi and I have weeks to ourselves back to back? I think that actually worked out pretty well. 

So, what to write about? Hmm... Well Malachi wrote a short story, so maybe I could do something similar? ;) 


So this is chapter one of my current novel, Entering Lyca. Which is about Malachi actually XD He does already know about this novel, it's was supposed to be a birthday present but I never finished it in time. Beware of typos and bad grammar, it's still a rough draft. 

Chapter 1

“You’re really going to love Lyca,” Mom said, trying to break the silence that fell when Natasha nodded off awhile back.

“Sure,” I answered, giving a standard response because I wasn't listening.

I stared out the window and absentmindedly fidgeted with the drawstrings of my sweatshirt. I felt Mom’s gaze fall on me and I realized she was still trying to talk. I didn't turn to meet her gaze.

“Malachi, I know you really didn't want to move, and I realize this is a lot of change really fast, but give this place a chance.”

My feelings churned inside me. I turned and snapped back at her.

“Why are we even moving here? We were happy in Indiana! This move is totally whacked!” That came out whiner than I intended. I didn't mean to sound so bratty.

“And we will be happy in Maine, I wouldn't have made us move here if we didn't have to.”

I tried to relax and calm down. But being cramped in a car for hours wasn't mixing well with me. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly in an attempt to relax. I was feeling extremely claustrophobic in the front seat of the family minivan. I was fairly tall with a good bit of meat on my bones. Sitting in a car for hours, even though it wasn't a small car, made me feel constricted and unable to breathe. I longed to roll down the window for fresh air, but it would let out all the heat and freeze everyone else out.

“Honey, I know you miss home, but this can be an adventure! Think of all the fun things you could do out in the woods! Running free with the wind in your…” her voice trailed off when she noticed I was giving her a strange look.

I resumed to my window staring.

                The asphalt crunched under the car’s tires as we drove up a steep incline. At the summit of the hill, I could see the southernmost part of a small town. “That's Lyca,” Mom pointed to the town, “we’re almost home!”
                It bordered a rocky coastline. The piers and boats that dotted the ocean looked tiny from here. This was one of the few times I've seen the ocean. The waves seemed untamed and powerful. White peaks of foam formed on the strong wind waves. The sky was threatening to storm. It all disappeared out of my view moments later as we descended down the ledge and rounded a corner that faced away from the town.
The windows were foggy from the cold late fall air meeting the warm glass. Out of boredom, I drew on the window with my finger before wiping away the condensation. I rested my head in my hand and shifted in my seat. I was restless from sitting so long and couldn't find a comfortable position.

I turned around in my seat. Natasha’s head rested on a plum colored sweatshirt that she was using for a pillow. Her messy, brunette, short hair covered part of her face. I thought about waking her up to let her know we were almost there. I didn't though, she was tired and so was I. It had been a long week. I decided to let her sleep until we arrived at the new house.
I turned back around and returned to playing with my drawstrings as well as staring out the window. I glanced up at the sky and noticed the clouds were getting dark for this time of day. By the looks of it, it was going to storm.

All the time in the car gave me a lot of time to think over things. The more I thought about the past week, the more I felt homesick for Indiana. I missed my friends, school, and life that we left behind. I didn’t know anyone in Maine. Mom told us that she lived there for some time as a child but moved to Indiana in high school. Apparently we have family there that she never bothered to mention, until last week. I'm not sure why mom never told us she had family here; it was never brought up and felt wrong to ask about.

The car was silent for the next thirty minutes it took to reach town.

I dazed out the window and took in the town’s sights. It was old and quaint, a little run down but it gave the town some character. A general store, a blacksmith, and a few small offices and shops made up most of downtown. It was basically everything you would expect for a small town in Maine.

We drove around downtown a bit, Mom hadn’t lived here in years and vaguely remembered how to get around town. For some reason Lyca reminded me of the time we visited Salem, Massachusetts. I was getting really weird vibes from the townsfolk. Something about them seemed- off. I couldn't seem to put my finger on what was off though. 

We didn’t drive around for too long, Mom eventually found her way out of downtown. It was starting to get late- well it was only two-ish but the sky was darkening and looked rather foreboding.

Our house was on the outskirts of the west side of town. It was kind of tucked away on a country road- which made it extremely hard to find. We ended up driving around forever trying to find it. Mom spent several minutes playing around with the GPS, hoping that it would magically find a satellite to connect with. Which with the degree of cloud cover there was, was not going to happen.

We finally stopped to ask for directions after I spent a while playing around with the GPS. The guy’s smile really creeped me out. His teeth looked sharp and his eyes seemed to hold a type of power in them.

Apparently, we drove past it about five times. As we got further away from the main road, the less road there was. It  wasn't completely paved and had fallen branches from the last storm, making for a bumpy ride.

Dad and the movers were sent ahead of us. We had arrived a few hours after them. Mom pulled up onto the tar driveway behind the moving van. She gently shook Natasha awake. Tasha stirred and looked out the window. She quickly fixed her hair by running her fingers through it and pulled her hoodie on. We all got out of the car, glad to finally be able to move and stretch after being cramped in the car for hours.

“Welcome to your new home, guys!” Mom said cheerily.

Dad put down the moving boxes he was carrying and walked over to us. “Have any difficulty finding the place, Hun?” He innocently asked Mom. She rolled her eyes at him.

“Guys, could you grab the boxes in the car and bring them inside?” she asked as she grabbed a box from the moving van. “The quicker we get this done, the less time we have to spend in this freezing weather and the sooner we can unpack and settle in.”

This was the first time I saw the house -aside from the online listing’s photos. It was a plain old white house, two stories high, with a cabin-esque feel. Behind the house were a few acres of land with a forest bordering it. Surrounding the house were a few witch hazel trees and small bushes. The shutters were a dark navy blue color, which matched the front door as well as the two-car garage door. The garage was adjacent to the left of the house. I looked into the backyard from the driveway. There was a run down and falling apart tool shed and a small storage shed with a kicked-in door.

My gaze returned to the forest border of the yard. I suddenly felt drawn to the forest and so I started walking to the backyard. I felt that I was being called to be there, like I belonged in the woods. I wandered only a few feet before I heard a thump behind me. I spun around. Tasha was struggling to carry a heavy box inside and had dropped it. The sudden loud noise broke me from my trance and I went to go help her.

I brought the box into what I assumed to be the living room. There wasn't really any furniture in there yet. It was a good sized living room with a big fireplace. I wandered somewhat aimlessly about, exploring my new home.

Dad walked up from behind me, it made me jump when he finally spoke. “Malachi, whoops I didn't mean to startle you,  I set your room up, it’s the second room to the…” Dad stopped mid-sentence to remember whether it was to the left or right. “…right? Yup, the right. But first, please help carry in the rest of the boxes. There’s not too much left, you’ll have time later to check it out.”

I obediently went to help them with the boxes. As I walked outside, the clouds seem to threaten to snow any minute. Grr, snow, it’s too early in the year for this. I grabbed a box out of the car and brought it inside. 


And that's the end of chapter one! Maybe if your're good I'll put up chapter two sometime in the future. ;) 

Even though Malachi's gone it's still Creativity Tuesday tomorrow! If you have a short story or poem you would like to submit, PM me on YWS or email your work to the page. More information on that can be found here. 

The Thursday poll from last week page tab should be up now, and the #TBT tab will still be up for another week or so, be sure to check that out while you still can ;) 

See ya tomorrow!
~SarChi

0 comments: