Back to School

7:30 AM Sarah 0 Comments

The summer is half over or really really close to being over for a lot of us. Malachi is going back to school in a few weeks and Sarah is going back in September and we're both going to be Seniors. Kind of sounds scary doesn't it? So today we are actually going to discuss school! Yeah, we know, no one wants to talk about school, it's the summer still. We're going to talk about it anyway :P

So Malachi and Sarah are kind of going to compare and contrast their schooling backgrounds:



Sarah's Schooling

Type of schooling: I've been in Catholic private schooling my entire life.

Ever worn a uniform? Yup, I've worn a uniform since 1st grade; preschool and kindergarten didn't require them at the time. I had my gym uniform in elementary school, an optional winter uniform, and the regular uniform for 1st-6th grade. The regular uniform changed for the Jr. High kids but we kept the same gym uniform. Now for my high school I have the regular uniform, a special religion ministry shirt, and all my "spirit wear" I'm allowed to wear on Friday's in place of the uniform polo shirt.

How many schools have you attended? 2, a Catholic pre-k through 8th grade elementary school and a Catholic high school. Well 3, if you want to count that preschool I went to for about a year in a church.

Favorite teachers: I have quite a few and I'd hate to show favoritism ;) :P but my favorite teachers are Mrs. Jordan, Mrs Thomas, Mrs. Pagliarani, Mrs. Arsenault, Mrs Welch, Mrs. Scully, Mrs Leavitt,  Mr. Gannon, Mrs. Q, Mrs, K McCarthy, Sister Paula (didn't have her for a teacher, but I still loved her <3), Mr. Daley, Mrs. Bailey, and Mrs. Fitton.

Favorite grade: 5th grade. I really loved 5th grade <3 But I also loved 3rd grade. 3rd grade was awesome too.

Thoughts on cafeteria food: The food at my elementary school wasn't half bad but some of it was questionable. After 6th grade the food just really took a hit when a certain amazing lunch lady retired. My current school actually has really good food but it's crazy expensive and if you aren't a fan of hot and spicy food, there's not a whole lot they can offer you. Well there is, but eh, it's all expensive. I normally just bring a lunch from home.

Thoughts on teaching methods and styles: I love it when the teacher is hands on and doesn't just throw the textbook at you and expect you to understand everything instantly. The more interactive the class the better. I also like it when (my school uses ipads) teachers use the ipad more for more visual aides and stuff like that.

Other comments: If you plan on going to a private school, be prepared for not having a social life and dedicating your life to homework, school, and a sport if you do sports, You will not have time for much else. Also be prepared to move at a very fast pace, hours of homework, uniform complaints (it's not warm enough in the winter and it's too hot in the spring/fall), and just being always overtired. But it's really a great choice if you're studious and want more of a close community, religious type of learning environment.

Malachi's Schooling

Type of schooling: I was homeschooled till last year. now I'm in a private Christian school

Did you like homeschooling or private schooling better? Private school. There are so many new friends I have, not to mention all the sports, acting, music, and other activities I get to participate in now.

Ever worn a uniform? For basketball and soccer :P We have a dress code though.

How many schools have you attended? One.

Favorite teachers: Too tough to decide really. They are all great for their position.

Favorite grade: Eleventh!

Thoughts on cafeteria food: We bring our own lunches although we can purchase some stuff. So for me my food is good, and cafeteria is I don't know. XD

Thoughts on teaching methods and styles: Sometimes it doesn't work, but for the most part I get what teachers are saying. Pictures always help. videos too. It's good to mix it up and have other explain every once in a while.

Other comments: Sarah is right about giving up free time, but the sort of private school you go to really changes. Her schooling is way more rigorous than mine, so it really depends on the size of the school, as well as how much stuff you participate in.






~SarChi

0 comments: